We are a small organic farm up in the hills of Brookfield, Vermont, about 4 miles off Exit 5 of I-89 and about 20 minutes south of Montpelier. We focus on growing high quality wholesome healthy food and are excited about it! We sell wholesale throughout central Vermont and the Burlington area, as well our Farm CSA Program and we are at the Burlington Farmers Market. Our main focus is on vegetables and mushrooms, however fruit and egg production are in the works. We run a small crew of six people during our main season May-November.
Vegetable Production Team Member Job Description
We are looking for a team member to join our production manager to help with the on goings of vegetable production. 1000 Stone Farm is a diversified farm focused on feeding the local Vermont communities with the highest quality food we can produce.
We are looking for the right person who would like to see the farm grow with us. Someone that is looking at farming as a career and not just a pastime. We have worked very hard to make the farm what it is today; but we are always growing and making the farm better each year. We are looking for someone who will respect the daily work that we all do to grow the food that keeps us going each day.
We work Monday- Friday 8am -5pm with a 30 minute lunch break each day. For the right person we would also ask for help at the Burlington farmers markets on Saturdays during the summer. This is a full time, year round position, with an understanding of a 3 year commitment to the farm. Summer hours range from 40-60 hrs per week, with winter hours around 28-32 hrs per week.
There are many tasks to this job including:
• Vegetable harvest (main task)
• Cleaning and packing vegetables (main task)
• Watering Seedling trays
• Making sure all wholesale orders are packed and ready for delivery
• Record keeping for harvests
• Assisting packing CSA shares
• Collecting eggs and feeding chickens (occasionally)
• Cleaning out chicken coops (occasionally)
• Helping at farmers market (Occasionally, Saturdays)
• Covering tasks for others when they are not available (including but not limited to: mushroom harvest and pack, restocking farm store, greenhouse tasks)
Necessary skills and experience:
• Ability to handle multiple tasks in a day and get them done in a timely manner along with our standard of quality
• The ability to make decisions of quality without needing to stop and ask
• Produce safety knowledge
• Personal safety knowledge
• Willing to take direction and work as an individual
• Be able to stand and kneel for hours at a time while harvesting and packing
• Vegetable harvest skills and knowledge
• Minimum 2 years experience on a production vegetable farm
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation year round
• Be able to lift 50 Pounds multiple times a day
• Good positive attitude
• Willingness to work in rain, hot, and cold temperatures
• Non smoking
• Must love food
• Comfortable with dogs
Compensation – First Year
• $15-$17 per hour for (minimum experience), depending on skills and qualifications
• Full CSA each week ($30-50 Value)
• 25% off all farm store items
• Farm lunch is provided Monday- Friday
• Two paid holidays off and scheduled time off.
Please email Betsy@1000stonefarm.com with resume, references, and letter of intent to apply. Only applications with these things will be considered, thank you.