- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm beer
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 1 pound small domestic mushrooms, stems on, wiped clean
- Combine flout, salt, cayenne, baking powder, and sugar in mixing bowl. Add beer, whisk until smooth, and set aside, covered, at room temperature, 1 hour.
- To fry, heat oil in deep pot or fryer until 350 degrees F. ( To test readiness, drop in a spoonful of batter. If it bubbles immediately, oil is ready.)
- Dip mushrooms into batter, a handful at a time, turning evenly to coat.
- Drop mushrooms into oil and fry until golden brown all over, turning occasionally with slotted spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and complete frying. Serve immediately or risk sogginess.