Garlic Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking oil; set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized pan. Add the garlic and sauté until just fragrant (about 1 minute). Whisk in the flour, continue to cook while whisking for at least two minutes.
- Reduce the heat down to low and gradually whisk in 4 cups of milk ( about 1/4 cup at a time), whisking between each addition to combine. Bring to a boil until beginning to thicken. Stir in salt and pepper, set aside.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes over the based of the greased baking dish. Pour half the cream sauce over the potatoes, then top evenly with half of the mozzarella cheese, the remaining creamy sauce, and the remaining cheeses.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes until the potatoes are just tender. Remove foil; cook for a further 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling. For a crisper top, broil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until cheese is crispy.
- Garnish with chives and serve warm.
Recipe by Karina, Cafedelites.