Green Bean Salad with Feta
Whew! It has been hot out there the past few days. While this salad does require you to steam the green beans for a couple of minutes, it is a delicious way to enjoy green beans without having the stove on for too long. It is a quick and easy dish to bring along on a picnic or to a BBQ. I really like this recipe because the dressing does not contain mayonnaise, which can be a staple of summer salads, and really allows the flavor of the green beans and radishes to shine through. The original recipe is by Angela Drake.
- 12 oz. green beans, trimmed
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar or other fruit vinegar
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Bring about 2 inches of water in the bottom of a medium sized pan to a boil. Add the green beans to a metal colander or steamer and set over the saucepan of water. Cover and steam beans for about 5 minutes, until just tender.
- Transfer beans to a bowl and add the onion, cilantro, radishes, crumbled feta cheese, and oregano. Grind pepper over to taste.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and olive oil together and then pour over the salad. Gently toss to mix well.
- Transfer to a serving platter and surround with the tomato wedges. Serve at once or chill until ready to serve.