Right now tomatoes are ripe and plentiful! This recipies allows you to use whatever variety of tomato you have on hand and pair them with creamy goat cheese and honey. This beautiful dish makes approximately 6 to 8 servings and takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes to prepare and cook.
- 1 stick of salted butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 Shallots, diced
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4.5 oz goat cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes or three medium sized tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 large egg
- Start by making the dough. Grate the butter into a small bowl using a cheese grater, then freeze the butter for 10 minutes. While butter is freezing, combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- After 10 minutes, whisk the butter into the flour mixture until it has a mealy texture. Slowly begin adding water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough takes shape.
- Gather the dough into a ball and then on a floured surface, shape the dough into a flattened disc. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic and refrigerate for 45 minutes until the dough is firm and cold.
- While the dough chills, in a skillet add the shallots and olive. Sauté the shallots of medium-high heat until the shallots are lightly browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the chilled dough until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- Crumbled the goat cheese on top of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border along the edges. Drizzle the honey over the goat cheese. Evenly spread the shallots on top of the goat cheese.
- Placed the slice tomatoes in a bowl and generously season with salt and pepper. Once seasoned, layer the tomatoes over the goat cheese and shallots. Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes and sprinkle with thyme.
- Fold the edges of the dough around the tomatoes, then brush the dough with a beaten egg.
- Place the galette in the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour or until the crust is golden brown and the tomatoes have begun to char.
- Allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Enjoy!