Pumpkin pie is one of my favorite desserts and is simple to make. Roasting a pie pumpkin in order to make your own pumpkin puree is easier than you think and is super tasty.
- 1 medium pie pumpkin
- Coconut or olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 9″ deep dish pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pumpkin in half lengthwise. Then using a sharp spoon to scrape out all of the seeds and strings (the seeds can be saved to roast later).
- Brush the pumpkin flesh with oil and place face down on the baking sheet. Pierce skin a few times with a fork or knife to let steam escape.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until fork easily pierces the skin. Remove pan from the oven, and let the pumpkin cool for about 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Scoop the flesh into a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Will need approximately 2 cups of pumpkin puree to make the pie.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lay pie crust out in pie dish.
- Mix the pumpkin puree and spices together.
- Slowly mix in the sweetened condensed milk and eggs to the puree until just thoroughly mixed.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake pie at 425 degrees F, for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees F for an additional 35-40 minutes.
- Thoroughly cool the pie before serving. Enjoy with whip cream!