Rutabagas can be cooked just like potatoes, either roasted or mashed. This dish below can be a fun substitute for traditional mashed potatoes.
Mashed Rutabaga with Sour Cream and Dill
- 2 to 3 pounds of rutabagas, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup sour cream (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill or chives
- Cover the chopped rutabaga with one inch of cold water in a large pot. Add salt and boil until tender, about 30-40 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Reduce heat to low and let the rutabaga steam for a minute or two. Mash with a potato masher.
- Add butter, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Just before you serve, add chives or dill.