- 5 pounds beets
- 5 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 cups water
- 2.5 cups sugar
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon whole corriander
- 1 tablespoon whole red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon whole anise seeds
- 2 full sprigs fresh rosemary
- In a large pot, cover the beets with water and cook until slightly tender, but still slightly firm.
- Drain the beets and let cool. Once cool, peel off the skins and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Add the remain ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once at a boil reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, then chill and strain the liquid into a bowl.
- Divide beets evenly among 6 pint jars.
- Add strained liquid to the beets and let them marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before serving.
Makes about 6 pints.