I made this soup a couple of days ago, and it has become one of my favorites. It is creamy and comforting, especially when it is cold outside. I used spicy Italian sausage to give the soup a little heat, but any skinless sausage will work. If you are vegetarian, oyster mushrooms would be a tasty substitute!
Red Cabbage Soup with Sausage
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 2 tablespoon constarch
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pound potatoes, sliced
- 7 oz skinless sausages, sliced
- 5 1/2 oz red cabbage, chopped
- 7 oz canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- ground paprika, to garnish
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add the garlic and onion and cook over medium heat, stirring for three minutes, until slightly softened. Add leek and cook for another three minutes, stirring.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with enough stock to make a smooth paste, then stir into the pan. Cook, stirring, for two minutes. Stir in remaining stock, then add the potatoes and sausages.
- Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the red cabbage and black-eyed peas and cook for ten minutes, then stir in the cream and cook for another five minutes.
- Remove from heat and ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with ground paprika and serve immediately.
Makes approximately 4 servings.