During the colder months of the year we take advantage of root vegetables that were harvested in the fall. While simply roasting root vegetables is a quick and delicious way to enjoy them, this recipe adds a little something extra. The recipe listed below is just a basic outline, the possibilities are endless with what you can add to suit your specific tastes.
- 2 beets
- 2 Rutabagas
- 2 sweet potatos
- 3 carrots
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- 1 yellow onion
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 pound mushrooms
- goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and dice beets, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, and carrots into 1/2 inch cubes. Place all diced vegetables into a large bowl.
- Peel and finely chop garlic, shallot, and yellow onion and add to large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over vegetables and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle salt and pepper over vegetables to taste.
- Spread vegetables evenly on two baking sheets. Place baking sheets in the oven and roast vegetables until tender and slightly brown, approximately 30-45 minutes.
- If adding hamburger or mushrooms: while vegetables are in the oven, brown hamburger or sauté mushrooms until fully cooked.
- Once the vegetables are done, add them to the hamburger or mushrooms.
- Place fresh spinach into a bowl. Sprinkle root vegetable/hamburger/mushroom mixture on top. Sprinkle with goat cheese.