- 1/2 pound of potatoes, peeled, split into quarters, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound bok choy, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 finely sliced serrano pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- Place potatoes in thin layers on a microwave safe plate. Cover plate with a paper towel and microwave on high power until heated through, but still slightly undercooked, about 2 1/2 minutes. (You can also cook the potato slices in the oven, but this will take a little bit longer).
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat until lightly smoking. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned on about half of all surfaces, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat if smoking heavily.
- Add shallot and bok choy. Continue to cook until vegetables are well cooked and charred in some spots, about 4 minutes longer. Add sliced chili and hot sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer hash to a warm serving platter and keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet and add more vegetable oil. Heat on medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Add eggs and cook until preferred level of doneness is reached. Season with salt and pepper. Place eggs on top of hash and serve immediately with sauce.
This recipe makes approximately 2 servings.
Recipe by J. Kenji López-Alt