Spicy Pickled Shiitakes
The spicy shiitakes make an excellent addition to burgers, stir fry, or just as a snack on their own.
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shiitakes, stems trimmed and caps halved
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tiny hot dried red peppers
- Sterilize 4 (8-ounce) jars and lids.
- In saucepan, combine water and salt. Add shiitakes, bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
- In saucepan, heat vinegar and oil to boiling. Add shiitakes and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and pack into prepared jars.
- Place 1 garlic clove and 1 dried pepper in each jar.
- Return vinegar to a boil and pour into jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of the top. Seal and store in refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks before serving.
Makes 4 (8-ounce) jars.