Sweet potato pie is one of my favorite desserts, especially around thanksgiving. This recipe was created by Chef Leah Chase with her unique pecan crust. If making homemade crust is not your cup of tea, you can always substitute a store-bought crust.
Sweet Potato Pie
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 4 large sweet potatoes, boiled until tender and peeled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Beat eggs with a fork.
- Combine eggs with condensed milk and melted butter.
- Add egg mixture to sweet potatoes and whisk until smooth and bright orange. Set aside.
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup water, cold
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
Pie Crust Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl stir flour and salt together and add pecans.
- Cut in shortening until it is in small, pea-sized lumps. Slowly add the water and mix into a stiff paste.
- On a floured board, roll out the dough into a 10-inch circle, and place into a pie pan. Prick the bottom of the crust several times.
- Bake for a few minutes until the crust is barely cooked. Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Fill the pie shell with the sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle the top lightly with cinnamon.
- Return the pie to the oven and bake for 35 minutes, until set.
- Cool at room temperature, or chill and serve.
Note: If you are using a shallow pie plate, this recipe will make two pies. If you are using a deep-dish pie plate, it will make one pie.