Yakitori Chicken with Shitakes
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
- 18 green onions, trimmed to 2 inches, including white parts
- 18 medium shiitake mushrooms
- In a bowl, combine sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and cayenne for marinade.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in bowl with green onions. Pour 1/4 cup marinade mixture over chicken and toss to coat. Let stand 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to grill, dip mushrooms in remaining marinade. Thread on skewers with chicken and onions.
- Place skewers on grill, about 6 inches from coals and cook 10 to 12 minutes, turning several times. Serve with remaining marinade as dipping sauce.